Sunday, May 08, 2011

hodge podge

First of all, Happy Mother's Day!

This is a picture of me taken yesterday- about 6 months pregnant now and in full hippo-mode. I've been avoiding the camera (and mirrors) for some time now, but have allowed this photo to surface so that baby #3 does not feel she was completely neglected.

Now that's out of the way, there are some photos hanging out on my computer that I haven't blogged yet for one reason or another, so I thought I'd give a quick run down. ;)

We did dye one dozen Easter eggs this year- and that was enough. I hope as the kids get a little bit older these traditions become a wee less messy. Also, this is how Toby smiles for pictures now, and apparently both he and Charlotte have inherited Rob's childhood belief that all you need to do to smile for the camera is show all of your teeth.

One day (in response to 8 zillion questions about colors from Charlotte) I decided to bring out my paints and teach the kiddos about the color wheel, primary & secondary colors, and so on. They loved this!

After we went over the basics, they just went combo-crazy and covered their papers with every imaginable mixture. (They ended up with a lot of green-ish brown, but they were happy, so whatever.)

Yesterday I declared we should celebrate Mother's Day by driving to Michelstadt and eating ice cream, so that is what we did. (That was our first outing when we arrived in Germany, and I wanted to say goodbye to one of my favorite medieval villages.)

As we were leaving Rob said, "Hey we should go to Worms." Apparently he was joking, but I said "Okay, let's do it." So off we went to Worms, Germany. We've talked about it for a long time, but never made it a priority and so it hadn't happened. Until yesterday.

So what's the big deal about Worms? Martin Luther. In 1521 he stood in the shadows of this cathedral and defended his 95 theses at the Diet of Worms. This action (and others) made him the father of Protestantism. Which could be argued to be the beginnings of religious freedom... which we are extremely thankful for.

This photo makes me smile for so many reasons. :)

No comments: